Fire Wildlife Services Trapper Jamie Olson

Jamie Olson is in pictures again.

The photos associated with this story are difficult to view, so I’m not posting any here. You can link out to the stories below, and from there, further link out to images to see why a petition is circulating to have this Wildlife Services trapper fired. This is the same trapper controversially photographed earlier this year, smiling in front of his trapped and bloody wolf.

Please read the petition and sign it if you support its premise — to fire Olson for these activities and to send a message to the USDA that we do not want our taxpayer dollars supporting this level of wretchedness against wild animals.

Links to the Jamie Olson/Wildlife Services story:

I wish these incidents were so extreme and isolated, I could comfort myself with that knowledge. But, as journalist Tom Knudson reported in his Sacramento Bee exposé, the treatment of predators and other animals by Wildlife Services is beyond unacceptable. With “varmint” hunting and trapping in general, where many species have no legal protection whatsoever, the treatment of these animals is sometimes incomprehensibly cruel. We need to apply our individual and collective pressure to insist this USDA agency be reformed … and to insist that the whole practice of predator and “nuisance” animal control be restructured toward a more evolved and compassionate ethic with respect to wildlife.

I wish I didn’t have to sound like a broken record on this issue.

Related Quark Post: Livestock Production, Wildlife and Food Choices. There’s information in this post about how livestock production contributes to needless death and suffering for wild predators, including the annihilation of Washington’s Wedge pack of wolves. A story in the Spokesman Review a couple of days ago reported that it cost the State of Washington almost $77,000 dollars to kill seven wolves … at the behest of a local rancher. We can direct our dollars away from industries that support and perpetuate the needless slaughter of predators and all wildlife.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

• says

Mia, I’m not sure how to even begin instigating reform in an agency that has countless examples of wildlife abuse. I try to keep my head above it all and plod onward, but sometimes my frustration is at a peak when I look at how much we really need to change with respect to how we view wild animals.

1. Alison Dickson says

For the pain and horrible terror and suffering he put these animals through, I really do not think firing is enough. I think jail time is called for. His responsibilities were to ensure the animals did not suffer, he chose to ignore his job description and instead get his jollies by ensuring they were terrorized, and did suffer.

2. says

This guy is even more despicable than Daniel Richards posing with his dead mountain lion. Torturing innocent wild animals and boasting about it? Sick. The USDA Wildlife Services should be disbanded. It’s outrageous the number of wild animals they kill with our tax dollars every year. You can see some statistics here.

• says

Larry, thanks for posting that graph … it’s utterly heartbreaking! I’ve known of so many Wildlife Services incidents, in San Francisco and elsewhere, but I had no idea of the scope until Knudson’s article came out. When you think about the animals killed every year by hunting (at least 200 million, the documented ones, that is), then the animals killed on roadways (around the same amount, again, just the documented ones), the birds killed by window strikes, etc. it’s a wonder they can survive our species at all. That’s why I fall so adamantly on the side of no harm or least harm. I feel wild animals have enough to endure, just surviving our technological existence. I wish we would work harder to coexist.

3. scott urbanek says

I can no longer feign surprise at the malevolence that festers inside so many citizens of this supposed “superior” race. The brutal fact is that this is an unfortunately necessary byproduct of free-will. I detest the act with every ounce of my being. I am strong, but am thoroughly unable to process these images. The mere thought of the cruelty involved invokes choking in my throat and tightness in my chest. So what then? Call for more blood? Hate the perpetrator? If I could I would wish all those capable of such malice away to I care not where. But this is neither practical, nor reasonable or responsible. Pain is an indissoluble brother to joy. We bleed so that we know we are alive. I hate so that I may know laughter. I lament so that I shall seek hope. The atrocity of one births the opposition of two. In response to the corrosive intent of one I will endeavor to strike to two blows of charity and good faith. He tortures and kills; I will support and heal. The only opposition to garish thuggery is relentless compassion. I will have faith in my ability to do good work, and faith in those who rally to the call for humanity.

• says

Scott, thanks so much for your thoughtful note. I can relate to your comment, “I am strong, but am thoroughly unable to process these images.” I’ve saturated myself with experiences and information to the point where sometimes I don’t sleep, or function well, and live with constant stress — the visceral sensations you describe. I’m so often torn between my responsibility to know, and my inability (at times) to process the cruelty in a proactive or healthful way. You’d think after this much time, it would stop affecting a person, but for some of us, clearly that emotional hardening doesn’t occur.

I like your solution which speaks, I think, to the only real solution … which is to control the outcome of our own actions. I know it doesn’t take away the thuggery you describe, but neither does the personal stress.

4. John Raymond says

I won’t even go to the links on this one, can’t take what I know is there.
    Only thought is to throw out a term my grandfather used to use, “he should be stump hung”.

Thank you Ingrid for posting as it does highlight solely what these killers are-heathens!
    Hear that Terrible Ted ??

• says

John, you don’t have to, you know. I like “stump hung.” I’ll appropriate that with proper credit to grandad. Yes, I agree, the more you see, the less possible it becomes to buy into the usual rationales.

5. John Raymond says

Hunting is killing and maiming. I don’t think anyone can argue that one, can they?
    I mean, the idea is to kill and devour or just plain kill for sport.
    All the the other rationales (the chase..the fresh air) are just byproducts of doing something
    other than sitting home and drinking beer and aspiring to be “big man of the year” at the local watering hole.

6. Michelle says

I’m tired of filth like this masquerading around on this planet as humans. I wouldn’t let anybody I know, and children and animals for sure, be around this maniac. Get him out of society along with the rest of the demented trash that resides here torturing animals …and children. This planet will be much better off without perverted and vile scum like Jamie Olsen!

• says

Michelle, thank you for commenting — and for caring so much for others. I’ve also grown very weary (and heartbroken), seeing what people like Olson do to wild animals. There’s no more apt way to describe what he’s done than “vile.” I believe with all of my heart that those who treat nonhumans with this wretchedness are on the very wrong side of history — and I hope their misdeeds toward other species are finally rejected for the atrocities they are, sooner rather than later. As far as I know, this case is still under investigation. I will stay tuned to any developments and post new information here at the blog.